LAST year hundreds of outdoor fans took advantage of navigation workshops at Cotswold Outdoor Stores.
The aim was to help people boost their nav skills with advice and instruction from Ordnance Survey experts. The emphasis is on a return to good old map reading skills rather than relying on GPS.
The scheme was so successful that this year the number of sessions has doubled, with 15 taking place across Britain between now and June. As a brief aside, Cotswold Outdoor now has a staggering 61 stores across the UK with additional new stores planned to open this year.
Mike Stevens, the Retail Operations Director for Cotswold Outdoor is extremely pleased with the partnership with Ordnance Survey plus he appreciates the need for sound map and compass skills too adding, “These days we have a great range of GPS products available to us, but nothing can beat a basic knowledge of map to ground skills.”
All participants will receive 25% off any Ordnance Survey maps purchased on the day too.
Workshop overview: Paper map reading & compass navigation
- Understanding and interpreting the map, completing bearings and distance using compass.
- This will include: some history of Ordnance Survey and an introduction to the map layout, symbols and scales. Develop an understanding of the OS grid system using practical applications.
- Discuss methods of measuring distance and using a compass.
- Introduction to the essential parts to the compass, including “the norths” and progress to taking short bearings, measuring distance and describing the likely ground to be covered.
- Complete a journey across mountain upland using map and compass with tips and techniques to get you there. This includes selecting suitable and safe routes across difficult terrain. Before departing: interpreting the expected ground from the map, estimating the journey distance and time.
- Take the correct magnetic bearing and travel using a variety of techniques. Dealing with poor conditions and if it all goes wrong; the art of relocation.
Workshops will be held in the following stores. Tickets are free and can be picked up or reserved over the phone at the relevant store:
12 April Leeds, The Core
MSU 6, The Core Shopping Centre, Lands Lane, Leeds, LS1 6AW
14 April Bristol
Unit 2, Union Gate, New Broadmead, Bristol, BS1 2DL
20 April Glasgow West End
West End Retail Park, Crow Road, Partick, Glasgow, G11 7RY
04 May Birmingham
Piccadilly Arcade, 105 New Street, Birmingham, B2 4EU
10 May Knightsbridge
92 Brompton Road, London, SW3 1ER
12 May Chester
82-84 Foregate Street, Chester, Cheshire, CH1 1HB
19 May Newcastle
60/62 Northumberland Street, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, Tyne & Wear, NE1 7DF
24 May Milton Keynes
Eldergate, The Portway, Milton Keynes, MK9 1EP
25 May Holborn
Unit 1, 311/318 High Holborn, London, WC1V 7BN
2 June Tunbridge Wells
95 –97 Mount Pleasant Road, Royal Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN1 1QG
7 June Cambridge
6-7 Bridge Street, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB2 1UA
8 June Betws-y-coed – Royal Oak
Holyhead Road LL24 OAY
9 June Guildford
2-3 Friary Street, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 4EH
22 June Exeter
Darts Farm Shopping Village, Darts Farm, Topsham, Exeter, Devon,
Cotswold Outdoor retails in store, online or by mail order (Tel 0844 557 7755 www.cotswoldoutdoor.com)